Wednesday, February 18, 2009

But not now!

Another day in the triangle of rain, bakery and Home Office. Today's daylight has not seen a single minute without rain, and it was just impossible to navigate any further away than Arizmendi's. I took seat on one of their two inside park benches(!), sipped coffee to a cheese roll, and read on a student's master thesis that I have to give comment on.

I cannot hear that sentence anymore which is echoing from everywhere now: "But we needed that rain". Such says the weatherwoman on Good Morning America, every day, right after the flooding report. And such says the Asian woman in front of me, when we wait in bakery line. Outside, it rains bubbles and she needs to raise her voice to be understood over the loudness of water disaster. Me, actually less in despair than her (because she had forgotten her umbrella, I had one!), say to her: "But not NOW!" She and the cashier (who also bakes, don't forget it is Arizmendi's) agree in the typical American "I KNOW!". Yeah, but do you really? I am not a resident. I have travelled one ocean plus one and a half continents to get sun. I am not so keen on saving water supplies for your city just now. Because I leave again. To Vienna, where we do not have a dryness problem.

Is this really you, San Francisco? Come on, spend a little sun tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. If the rain becomes unbearable, do like I did when in SF last time and catch a cheap flight with US Scairways to Cozumel and Belize...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not like I am sitting on some crazy amount of collected airmiles (like you do), and besides: the sun is back! :-)

    ReplyDelete