Friday, February 13, 2009

Sensitizing Concepts

The truth is that I can work best at coffee places. To sit at a little sunny table, overlooking the streets of San Francisco while sipping a white moccha or just a regular coffee brings out the best of my "academic self". I don't know why this is. Maybe it is for the (paradoxical) company of other lonely laptop writers? This is my crowd, and we are a lot! We sit there for hours, often we wear big Sony headphones. David Brooks might call us bobos. Sometimes, we take a picture of our nice food and upload it on yelp.com, including a comment if we liked it or not, and how the service did.

Today, I spent almost the whole the day at two such coffee places: I started with Duboce Park Café which remains my favorite. It is the one next to the doggie park. After a much appreciated beet salad with pecan nuts and blue cheese (yes, I took a pic!), I wrote on my methodological approach. Later, I went to Café Reverie, another small café at Cole Street. I got the most lovely little table in the window corner, ordered a chai tea and read on Herbert Blumer's sensitizing concepts.

In contrast to that coffee-filled day, today's picture is not featuring that topic. Instead, I captured my close neighborhood how I saw it when I walked home, just an hour ago. I went westwards, with the Pacific Ocean in sight at the horizon. This is the end of California. Or, as my personal sensitizing concept: the sight for further dreams.

2 comments: