Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Fitting (in)


TodayI found three things that fit me well: 1) a new coffee place, 2) almost a methodology, and 3) a new pair of jeans.

Fit 1) I really like Duboce Park Café! It is a little tram ride away from me, in the Castro neighborhood and I have often passed it on my way downtown. I tried it this morning. It is a very bright corner place with huge windows, the interior a somewhat Swedish-Californian mix. Their logo is an orange dog, sprinting. And you ask, why? Because it is opposite Duboce park, a huge hilly meadow for dogs. It seems to be *the* meeting place for Ms. Pudel and Mr. Golden Retriever - and for their owners (or dog walkers). So, the café offers water in a silver bowl at their entrance. Oh, and also my coffee was good.

Fit 2) Sitting in that café, I started reading the only book I brought from Vienna: Empirisch begründete Typenbildung (Kluge & Kelle, 1999). I have a feeling that this tiny, yet rich, book will lead me out of my personal jungle of how I reason "my" methodology. Their reference to Charles Sanders Peirce and his understanding of hypothesizing make me believe I am closer to the concept of abduction than I thought I was (sorry, this was for the insiders, who are, as I know, also following this blog).

Fit 3) Then I went shopping. I took the MUNI to Stonestown Galleria, supposedly the biggest mall in SF. Like always, I got a bit depressed in the mall. I cannot really tell why, but something about this abacterial circus of Corporate America just makes me sick. Why do I have to tell the girl at EXPRESS my name when she opens up the fitting room for me? (I tell her anyway and she is amused that I am Christine. Because she is Christina. That makes her smile.) Anyway: I find the perfect jeans (Christina thinks so too). In Vienna, the time for flare cut jeans has expired. But at EXPRESS, they still have those! I am happy and I buy it (Christina thanks for shopping with her today and wishes me a great day).

No comments:

Post a Comment