Monday, February 16, 2009

Eat Read Write

There it was again: the 100% chance of rain. And Petrus took that chance. It rained one complete day, and it still is. It is *pouring*, 9:05pm local. Only for a short walk to the bakery did I leave my apartment today. So back home, there we were: the laptop and I. To the sounds of falling raindrops, I transcribed a big part of an interview, so that was good. In between, there was also a little eating (Arizmendi had "Brioche Knots" today), and some distraction reading:

I am reading Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat Pray Love. It is a good biographical read on a New York woman who travels three countries to come clear with herself after a broken love story: Italy, India, and Indonesia. We are in India now, but I especially liked her first part, her time in Italy, and how she, the American, indulges with Italian food. I will not forget her friend Luca Spaghetti (real name!) and his calling American food "Amtrak Pizza". That made me laugh, especially on my first few days here, back with the nation of "do you want to have onion rings and a coke with your salad, Ma'm?" - Funny, she, E. Gilbert, is also 34 (or was back then when she travelled). Funny I read about Rome when I am here. But then again - not! For those who have not heard about that tiny story yet: The night before I left for San Francisco, there was this local train (Schnellbahn) at Wien Heiligenstadt, proudly showing off the destination on its digital screen: "Roma Termini". What? It was very strange.

Tomorrow, our chance of rain is 60%.
I wonder if there would be rain now in Rome now.

1 comment:

  1. The Roma Termini train is still very confusing for me... But I know flyertalkers who travelled SIN-EWR back to back in economy just to have a "first experience" so maybe there are those willing to cross the Alps aboard a ÖBB Talent train...

    ReplyDelete