Sunday, February 8, 2009

Greeting the Ox


So, I went to see it, the Chinese New Year's Parade. Mass transport in and around Chinatown had ceased service at 5pm and the streets were packed. The parade started at 5.30, shortly before the sun would set. I had positioned myself an hour early. Leaned against a huge garbage can at Post and Stockton Street, next to a hot dog stand, I greeted the year of the Ox, along with a few – what? thousand? other people who lined the curbs.

The parade was fascinating – but endless! It started off with some district senators, cruising along in Cadillacs and waiving to people. The mayor himself would walk the parade, shaking hands with the crowd (his bodyguards next to him). Then of course there were the many colorful floats and marching bands. The bands were my personal highlight, so accurate in rhythm, and so many tubas in just one band! Also, there were the dancing lions, little school kids walking in ox or other costumes, and there was a lot of firecracking. Oh, and not to forget: a UPS car with a Chinese female driver took also part.

As I said: it was endless. And after nearly 3 hours leaned against that garbage can, I felt the cold creeping under my jacket. I wanted to go home. Leaving the event was not an easy operation, as all the roads were blocked. But I managed and am now home with the heater heating on maximum. For those of you who understand German: it was a real "Ochsentour"! Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Hey you didn't wish me a Happy Chinese New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did not either, Louis?! Did you? Don't pla the stupid Ox! ;-) Happy Chinese New Year!

    ReplyDelete