Thursday, February 5, 2009

Irving Street and David Corn


Above photograph captures an impression of my pretty neighborhood, showing Irving Street. It is so easy to like that place. There are many ethnic restaurants and cozy coffee places, making Starbucks to look a bit out of place there. Tiny stores sell funky T-shirts or "reliable drugs" (such goes the slogan). Somewhere I have read that the Inner Sunset suffers from the worst weather in the whole Bay Area (a lot of fog). Not since I got here. The sun is tremendously generous and I feel the urge to wear bright colors. Vienna's winter seems far away.

Today's discovery was an Asian run corner store, which is only one block away. It is much cheaper than the freaky gourmet supermarket that sells pink cauliflower and offers French raw milk cheese for 15 dollars per piece. Instead, I shopped with the Asian store that seems to have a thing for classical music. To the very loud sound of some Beethoven symphony, I walked along piles of rice and cookies, fruit and vegetables to finally purchase a bright purple slender "Chinese eggplant". I had never seen such a thing before but decided to have it for lunch. It cannot be more gen-manipulated than the pink cauliflower. And it was only 89 cent. A bargain. I cooked it with onions and tomatos and it was good.

For an emotionally delicious desert, I first watched the live coverage of Obama's signing the bill to extend health insurance for kids. Then, at Hardball, David Corn commented on Dick Cheney criticizing Obama's new negotiation policies. Together with Joan Walsh, he really got himself into the mood to give the following statement on Cheney's lamenting: "He is a comic book character. This is what he is." Payday.

No comments:

Post a Comment