Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The paths of coincidence

I have written about the chances of rain, and about the chances to get hit by an earthquake. But what are the chances to run into a person I know? Here, of all places?

So, I am out on a little hike in Golden Gate Park, today at 2.45pm. Along my path, approaching two girls with small kids. When they get closer, I catch some German words. So, of course I check them out. And suddenly recognize one of them! I know it right away: she is one of the nannies I have interviewed 3 years back! So yes, she is one my "study objects" I am writing my dissertation on. - So I go (in German): "Hi! Don't we know each other?" She looks at me, a bit uncertain. I take off the huge in cognito sunglasses, and tell her I am Christine from that (name) study.THEN she recognizes me, laughs, and we are both mystified by that unexpetexted encounter. She tells me she is now studying here, a freshman at College. So, there we stand, in front of the baseball field. The one kid gets lost in a puddle, and she has to take care of him. So, with all the uncertainty what to say next (I mean, I know a lot about her life, I have interviewed her 3 times, for about 7 hours total...) - we give each other a friendly good-bye.

I walk in the park, up and down the trails of the very green little forest of AIDS Memorial Grove and just cannot get this one out of my head: "You always meet twice." - Or in this case: 4 times. The paths of coincidence.

On another note: I missed Lance (Armstrong) this morning. On its course from Sausalito-Santa Cruz, the Tour of California went by close to where I live. But we were dipped in heavy rain, so I did not end up watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment